An antique pair of German long flintlock holster pistols. Early 18th century, Augsburg. The barrels and locks finally engraved in the Parisian fashion. The barrels were formed in three stages with octagonal breeches, each stage changing to a faceted section behind a moulded girdle struck with Augsburg mark beneath Neue Stockel 5993.
Decorated at the muzzle and both ends of the breeches with bands of leaf ornaments and the barrel tangs engraved with scrolling foliage. 37cm barrel length, Overall length, 55cm. Flat lock plates engraved with detailed varieties of flowers each formed with recessed tail fitted with sliding safety catch, engraved with a demon mask and flush fitting straight cock with ring neck cut in the form of a bird and a monster. The cocks each retained by an internal screw impaling the tumbler and the screw head and the base of the cock together forming the concentric petals of an engraved expanded rosette.
Early 18th century full stocks of figured walnut carved with raised moulding. Plain iron mounts comprising spurred pommels, trigger guards with shaped finales. Balister shaped ramrod pipes, rosette washers for the side nails and wooden ramrods. Each gun carrying museum plaque.
The engraved design on the barrels and the locks were most probably inspired by Francoise Marcou, published in Paris in 1667 as a series of 16 sheets and a title page engraved by C Jacquinet and entitled Plusieurs Pieces DArquebuzerie A Paris. For reproduced engravings see; Gramcsay 1970 pg51-59. Most notably the designs for flowers and small details relating to barrel ornament. A distinguished examples of Parisan influence amongst the Augsburg gunmakers of the mid 17th century exist in a pair of flintlock holster pistols made for Charles 11 of Sweden. Preserved in the Livrustkammaron Stockholm, see link 1965 London Edition - pg58 pl 33 Number 4.