A cased Irish .25 bore (577) centrefire, double barrelled, bridge loading side lever Howdah pistol by W and J Kavanagh of Dublin, circa 1870. With browned twist-sighted barrels, 22.8cms. Each rifle with five grooves and engraved with a line of foliage at the bridge. Rounded action with back sight and long slender tang. Signed back action lock (one hammer expertly replaced) side lever with chequered tongue piece, plain steel trigger guard, chequered detachable fore end with dark horn tip, chequered figured rounded butt. In contemporary relined and refitted oak case with accessories, including: brass bullet mould for casting conical bullets. The interior of the lid with the original makers trade label with 12 Dane Street address. Exterior with shaped brass escutcheon incorporating a flush fitting brass carrying handle. Birmingham black powder proof marks. Overall length 37cms. William and James Kavanagh are recorded in Dublin from 1843 to 1871.